Alberta Services

Addiction and Mental Health Services

1-866-332-2322, for alcohol and drug information, crisis intervention, and help with finding treatment centre. Services is available 24/7 and is totally confidential.

(updated Oct 25-16)

Alberta Youth Experience Survey (TAYES)

This is a province wide survey that was first conducted in 2002 and then in 2005. The latest survey was taken by the Alberta Health Services - Addiction and Mental Health in 2008. Over the years, more than 310,000 students, grades 7 to 12, have participated in the surveys. It measures alcohol, tobacco, and illicit drug use, examines gambling activities, and asks questions about the attitudes, perception and social networks of Alberta youth.

(updated Oct 25-16)


Call 1-866-710-QUIT (7848) for help in quitting smoking. Counsellors are trained to help develop a quit smoking plan, offer information, or refer you to services in your community. Services is available 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, 7 days a week.

(updated Oct 25-16)

Protection of Children Abusing Drugs Act (PChAD)

PChAD is a law that went into effect in Alberta on July 1, 2006. It allows parents or guardians of youth under the age of 18, who use alcohol and/or other drugs, to ask the court for an apprehension and confinement order. Basically it allows parents who are concerned that their child's use of drugs is physically or psychologically harmful, or that it might hurt someone else, to go to court and ask that the child be apprehended and put into a safe house to detox and be evaluated for further treatment, whether they like it or not.

(updated Oct 25-16)

National Services

A Day in the Life of American Adolescents: Substance Use Facts

The Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality (CBHSQ) Report dated August 29, 2013. Summarizes research findings examining adolescent substance use in the US on "an average day." It looks at when the youth first started using substances, how much was consumed in the past year, and who is receiving treatment for their substance use.

(updated Nov 1-16)

Above the Influence

Abstinence-based information to help youth stay drug free. Part of a media campaign, website created to increase youth awareness of the influences around and teaches strategies to help teens say no to drugs. Program of the Office of National Drug Control Policy.

(updated Oct 26-16)

Childhelp - National Child Abuse Hotline

Call 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453) and press #1 to speak with a counselor. Service is available 24/7, 365 days a year to help kids, and even adults who are concerned about kids they suspect are being abused or neglected. You can call this number if you live in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Guam or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

(updated Oct 24-16)


DanceSafe is a harm reduction organization promoting health and safety within the rave and nightclub community across the United States and Canada. They provide Information on club drugs and how to be safe at raves and reduce the risk of getting heat stroke. DanceSafe also provides training to volunteers who may want to start their own chapter.

(updated Oct 24-16)

Just Think Twice

Provides drug education and prevention information for teens. Sponsored by the DEA.

(updated Oct 26-16)

National Association of State Controlled Substances Authorities

Provides access to federal and individual state laws and regulatory information on controlled substances. Link gives access to individual state profiles.

(updated Oct 26-16)

National Drug and Treatment Referral Routing Service

Call 1-800-662-HELP (4357), 24/7 for alcohol and drug information and treatment referral assistance. Service provides by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's (SAMHSA).

(updated Oct 26-16)

National Gay & Lesbian Youth TALKLINE

Call 1-800-246-PRIDE (1-800-246-7743) Mon - Fri, 5 to 9pm (PST) to speak with a volunteer. Helps teens and young adults up to age 25 with coming-out issues, relationship concerns, parent issues, school problems, HIV/AIDS anxiety, safer-sex information, and more.

(updated Oct 26-16)


Call 1-800-999-9999 (TTY 1-800-999-9915) to talk with a counselor about problems relating to violence, abuse, running away, drugs & alcohol, suicide... Help is available by phone or email from 2pm to 12pm, 7 days/week. Can also get help online through one of the Covenant House Nineline forums. Covenant House helps runaway and homeless kids.

(updated Oct 26-16)

Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Sex information for youth living in this century.

(updated Oct 26-16)

Students for Sensible Drug Policy

Harm reduction youth organization who's mission is to provide education on the harms caused by the War on Drugs and to seek alternative solutions to the current drug problems.
Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

(updated Oct 26-16)

Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

This is SAMHSA's (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) online searchable directory of alcohol and drug abuse programs located around the country.

(updated Oct 26-16)